François Mignon's Journal begins on October 26, 1939 when he departs Penn Station in New York City for Shreveport, Louisiana, and he continued to keep it every day except Saturdays for the next 30 years. Volumes for 1942 and 1943 were not located. The entries resume in 1944.
The Journal ends in February 1970 following a series of events, including the death of J. H. Henry, Melrose Plantation's owner, and subsequent sale of the plantation. Prior to these events, Mignon had suffered a stroke that temporarily paralyzed his left side. He never fully regained the use of his left hand, which made it difficult to continue using the typewriter. After his stroke, secretarial help enabled Mignon to continue writing his newspaper column, Cane River Memo.
From the François Mignon
Papers, #M-3889 in the Southern Historical Collection, University of North
Carolina, Chapel Hill.